If at any point you’re unsure, don’t risk it, call us on 0121 396 1299. Disasters can range from the devastation of a burst pipe, to the lethal effects of contaminated water and Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Most problems can be avoided if you keep your plumbing and heating systems well maintained.
If the escaping water cannot be controlled immediately, open all cold water taps so that the pipework and storage system drains quickly. DO NOT TURN ON HOT TAPS. Turn off the central heating system and, if it uses a solid fuel boiler, allow the fire to die out. Switch off any electric immersion heater, then call us on 0121 396 1299. You can call beforehand if you’re unsure or panicked!
If you know how to, you could siphon the water from the cistern with a hose pipe, if you’re stuck just call us on call us on 0121 396 1299. You can call at any point if you want our assistance immediately. If the pipe isn’t split, thaw it out by applying hot water bottles or similar. If any part of the hot water system is frozen, there could be a risk of explosion if the boiler (or other heat source) is kept alight, so ensure it is turned off, or for solid fuel systems, extinguish the fire. Be careful as although water may be flowing from taps, other parts of the system may still be frozen.
• Don’t try to thaw it too quickly as there may be splits in the pipe which are not immediately noticeable.
• Never use a naked flame to thaw a pipe.
• Always start thawing a pipe at the end nearest the tap.
• Never ignite a naked flame / strike a match etc.
• Never touch any electrical appliance (including light switches).
• Put out naked flames.
• Open doors and windows.
• Keep people away from the affected area.
• Turn off the gas supply at the meter using the control valve (unless the meter is in a cellar or basement).
• Once your gas has been isolated by the National Gas Emergency Service call us on 0121 396 1299 to fit your new appliance or gas pipework.
Exposure to Carbon Monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, and severe cases can lead to convulsions, unconsciousness and even death.
If you are start feeling the symptoms of CO poisoning get outside of the property straight away. If you have been feeling ill and suspect CO poisoning ask your doctor for a CohB test. In severe cases call 999 immediately.
Ensure that all appliances are serviced on a regular basis, and fit a CO alarm, making sure that it meets the EN50291 Standard. We can fit CO alarms in addition to your annual service. We are nest pro approved installers. Call 0121 396 1299 for assistance today.
We are based in Sutton Coldfield and cover the West Midlands including Alvechurch, Birmingham, Cannock, Kenilworth, Knowle and Dorridge, Leamington Spa, Lichfield, Nuneaton, Rugeley, Solihull, Stafford, Sutton Coldfield, Tamworth, Walsall and Warwick.
We provide Emergency Plumbing, Heating and Electrical Services to the following local areas 24/7:
• Alvechurch • Birmingham • Cannock • Kenilworth • Knowle and Dorridge • Leamington Spa • Lichfield • Nuneaton • Rugeley • Solihull • Stafford • Sutton Coldfield • Tamworth • Walsall • Warwick • West Midlands